1. Your cake designs are quite impressive! What led you onto the creative path of cake and cupcake design?
Thanks so much for the compliment Kisha. The company actually started as a cupcake only company until one day my son asked me to bake him a cake....which I did! The cake tasted so great that I decided to sell my cakes and cupcakes. As time went along, I started receiving a substantial amount of orders, that is when I decided to hit the internet and learn all that I can about cake decorating and mastering every technique and trick of the trade.
2. With the amount of talented cake designers in the industry, what sets Cake in a Cup NY apart?
I strive for P & P, personalization and perfection. I get goose bumps when my clients say “the cake looks so good, they did not want to cut it”…that is when I know that I have not only done my job but I have also exceeded their expectations. I think mainly what sets me apart is the fact that I am self-taught and I love to think outside of the box. I am a creative person and often when I am excited about a project the ideas come flooding in to the point that I cannot hardly contain them!! It is extremely important to me to be able to customize a one of a kind design to meet the client's price point, as well as walk each client through the process of designing their show stopping edible creation. My menu consist of very unique names, created to be playful by incorporating irresistible mouth watering descriptions that would make anyone want to pop one of our baked goods into their mouth.
My first big break into the high profile society came by a referral by the one and only Kisha Kingston of Royale Amethyst Invitations in which I was asked to cater cakes and cupcakes for the NAACP Presidential Inauguration of the Yonkers branch. (Photo below)
Not too long after, I was approached by BronxNet to present a birthday cake to the host Dr. Bob Lee of OPEN and 107.5 WBLS FM. (Photo Below)
On February 14, 2011, I presented 350 cupcakes as favors for Russell Simmons RUSH Hearts Foundation. (Photo Below)
I also created a 3D globe and suitcase cake for Super Model Doutzen Kroes at LAVO NYC for her foundation dance4life World AIDS Day. (Photo Below)
My most recent accomplishment (that I am so proud of), was being hired by Lenox, one of the finest china companies, to create a mini wedding cake for their “Iced Pirouette Collection” ad. The cake measures 5 inches tall and 4 ¼ inches wide. (Photo Below)
Additional work by Cake in a Cup NY:
· AKA Cupcakes for a “Meet & Greet” at The Children’s Village, in Dobbs Ferry, NY.
· Corporate Logo Cupcakes for BlueKai.
· Black History Month at Bloomingdale’s, White Plains, NY.
· Black History Month at Pennington Elementary School in Mount Vernon.
· Equinox Fitness Club – Corporate Logo Cupcakes.
· Designed little diva cupcakes with edible handbags for a book signing of the “Little Diva” by LaChanze, the winner of a Tony Award for Best Leading Actress in a The Color Purple Musical.
· The “Transition Dinner” for John Jay College is a big deal as every year Cake in a Cup NY is requested to bake a very special cake and cupcake favors to mark the occasion.
4. What advice do you have to offer anyone that is considering breaking into the cake industry?
I would recommend that you find out what your real strength and unique selling point is. Focus on what you are most passionate about and make a collection of 4 to 6 cakes to begin with. Take as many cake decorating classes as you can, even if you feel that you have already mastered the technique, there is always more than one way to create the design and knowing a few different ways is a PLUS! The cake industry is very competitive and can be very overwhelming.
5. As we can all see, Cake in a Cup NY is making moves! What should we expect to see from you in the near future?
At the moment, I am mostly focused on building my corporate clientele and also moving into creating more abstract, out the box wedding cake designs. Teaching via online web classes is a thought that will be coming to you soon!
Keep up to date with Cake in a Cup NY! Be sure to follow and become a fan on Facebook!
Stay tuned for more featured vendor interviews from "The Amethyst Corner!"